Statewide Story Ideas
Sit Back, Relax, And Enjoy The Ride
Heading out for a drive around any of the islands hardly qualifies as a “road trip” in U.S. mainland terms. Even considering a spin around the 4,028-square-mile Hawaii Island, the largest of the Hawaiian Islands, can average about four hours. Regardless of the time or distance you’ll travel, a mini road-trip in Hawaii is a great way to enjoy the beauty of the Islands while spending quality time with your family. After all, life’s not about the destination, but the journey. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride on some of the Islands’ most scenic drives:
- Kuhio Highway (Kauai) – Lush beauty abound, any drive on Kauai is a sight to be seen, but a cruise on Kuhio Highway takes you along the coast from the island’s southeastern shore to the northern region of Hanalei. You’ll see why the island has become the backdrop for so many Hollywood films.
- North Shore (Oahu) – A trip to the “country” as locals would say is a “must do” on Oahu. While there are several routes to get there, hop on the H3 freeway for grand views of the lush green Koolau Mountains. Continue north on Kamehameha Highway and keep an eye on the shoreline, located just steps from your car, for views of Mokolii Island near Kualoa and the white sand beaches along the way.
- Hana Highway (Maui) – The 52-mile road to Hana is known as much for its scenic, tropical views and waterfalls as its twists and hairpin turns. Beyond Hana are the beautiful Pools of Oheo, the perfect reward after a long drive.
- Hamakua Heritage Corridor (Hawaii Island) – Take in the breathtaking sights of Hawaii Island’s natural landscape as you drive along sea cliffs, through lush valleys and tropical rainforests up the Hamakua Coast. Begin north of Hilo on Hawaii Belt Road and venture off to the Onomea Scenic Drive, followed by stops at Akaka Falls State Park, Laupahoehoe Point, and Honokaa town, and end at the Waipio Valley lookout for a rewarding view of the lush landscape, waterfalls, and a black sand beach.
Featured Story Ideas
- Power Through With Hawaii's Super Foods
Feel the need for energy and a boost to your immune system and overall health? Hawaii is home to a variety of super foods, all with essential nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants to kick start a healthier lifestyle. Enjoy the “feel good” benefits of these unprocessed natural foods, all found in the Hawaiian Islands. You are what you eat!
- Read More