Statewide Story Ideas
Magical Locations Set Every Great Story
Behind every great place is a great story, and Hawaii is home to some of the most magical places on earth. While the pure beauty of a location is what draws visitors and locals alike to stop and experience The Hawaiian Islands’ most scenic spots, it’s the tales and legends of spiritual beings or brave heroes who’ve made their mark there that cultivate a connection to the native Hawaiian culture and people, and inspire a love for the Islands. Remember these legends the next time you visit some of the Islands’ most magical places:
- Alekoko “Menehune Fishpond” (Kauai) – Legend has it that the mythical menehune, Hawaii’s mischevious little people who performed legendary engineering feats, built this fishpond in one night over 1,000 years ago. Lining up from the village of Makaweli located 25 miles away, the menehune passed the stones hand-to-hand to build the pond used by the ancient Hawaiians to catch fish.
- Nuuanu Pali Lookout (Oahu) – Known for its strong howling winds and panoramic views of the Koolau Cliffs and lush Windward Coast, the Pali Lookout is the site of the famous Battle of Nuuanu in 1795 where King Kamehameha I defeated his enemies to earn control over all of The Hawaiian Islands, unifying them under one rule.
- Iao Valley State Park (Maui) – The 1,200 foot Iao Needle is one of Maui’s most recognizable landmarks and a great spot for easy hiking and sightseeing. In 1790, it was also the site of another historic feat for Kamehameha I during his quest to conquer all of the Hawaiian Islands.
- Waipio Valley Lookout (Hawaii Island) – Considered the “Valley of Kings” because of its role in ancient times as the birthplace and burial grounds of numerous Hawaiian alii (royalty) including Kamehameha I. Visitors who come to see the dramatic 2,000-foot cliffs that drop down into a fertile valley spanning one mile across and five miles deep can still feel the mana(presence) of Hawaii’s ancestors throughout the area.
Featured Story Ideas
- Power Through With Hawaii's Super Foods
Feel the need for energy and a boost to your immune system and overall health? Hawaii is home to a variety of super foods, all with essential nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants to kick start a healthier lifestyle. Enjoy the “feel good” benefits of these unprocessed natural foods, all found in the Hawaiian Islands. You are what you eat!
- Read More