Statewide Story Ideas
Find Love in the Most Unexpected Places
In Hawaii, there’s truth to the saying “Love comes from the most unexpected places.” While the islands’ are bursting with world-class hotels and resorts boasting the finest food, lavish suites, and personal service to sweep your lover off his or her feet, look beyond the expected and find just as much romance at these charming yet often overlooked B&Bs, cottages, and inns throughout the state.
For a rustic feel without giving up the conveniences offered in a resort setting, look no further than Waimea Plantation Cottages on Kauai or The Inn at Mama’s Fish House or the Sea Ranch Cottages at Travaasa Hana on Maui.
- Waimea Plantation Cottages, which was once home to families of the sugar plantation era, now offers a picturesque setting for a lovers’ retreat. Guests are invited to pick fruits and flowers from the onsite gardens or spend the afternoons lounging in hammocks while taking in views of the black sand beach and the Pacific Ocean. www.waimea-plantation.com
- Love is in the air at The Inn at Mama’s Fish House. Situated steps from the ocean and a secluded white sand beach on Maui’s north shore, the luxury beachfront cottages are styled with casual retro Hawaiian touches. Visitors can inhale the warm tropical breeze from the large covered lanai opening directly to the ocean and dine at the award winning Mama’s Fish House restaurant. www.mamasfishhouse.com
- Over at Travaasa Hana on Maui’s secluded eastern shore, the spacious and private Sea Ranch Cottages are exclusive to guests 16 years and older. Couples can treat themselves to a kid-free vacation and enjoy quality time together on a coastal horseback ride, learning a graceful hula, or during a rejuvenating couples’ massage all offered on property. www.travaasa.com/hana
Like the saying goes, “home is where your heart is,” and visitors will have no trouble finding a place to call home at one of the many spectacular B&Bs throughout the state. Tucked away in neighborhoods outside of the main resort areas, B&Bs like The Palms Cliff House Inn or Holualoa Inn on Hawaii, the Big Island or The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono on Maui are ideal for an intimate getaway.
- Located thirty minutes north of Hilo in the town of Honomu, The Palms Cliff House Inn is perched on the cliffs overlooking Pohakumanu Bay affording all rooms’ spectacular ocean views. Just up the road, hike to Akaka Falls, one of Hawaii Island’s most notable waterfalls. www.palmscliffhouse.com
- At Holualoa Inn, guests can take in the beauty of the uplands of Kona coffee country. The private estate features 30 acres of lush pastures highlighted by tropical fruit and flower gardens and coffee trees, panoramic ocean views, garden gazebos, and guestrooms decorated with exquisite Polynesian accents. www.holualoainn.com
- Listed on the Hawaii Registry of Historic Places, The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono promises a truly Hawaiian experience offering 10 distinctive guest rooms each named and designed after a Hawaiian flower. A full gourmet breakfast featuring fresh local fruits and a hearty entree is included with any stay. www.mauiinn.com
Spending a romantic vacation camping may not sound like every couples’ ‘dream come true,’ but for those who are adventurous enough it’s a chance to unplug from the stress of life and enjoy and live in the moment. Locations likeCamp Olowalu on Maui and the Namakanipaio Campground on Hawaii Island also offer cabins for guests’ convenience.
- Discover a world unto itself just minutes from Maui’s main tourist attractions at Camp Olowalu. A-frame plantation style cabins come with six cots with mattresses, a fan, electrical outlet, and wireless Internet connection. A group kitchen facility is fully equipped to prepare and cook meals. In the evenings, cozy up around the fire pit and roast marshmallows. www.campolowalu.com
- The newly refurbished Namakanipaio Camper Cabins are located within Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Each cabin features one full bed and two twin beds with new mattresses, new flooring, an electric light, and an outside firepit and barbecue grill. www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/cabins-campsites
Featured Story Ideas
- Power Through With Hawaii's Super Foods
Feel the need for energy and a boost to your immune system and overall health? Hawaii is home to a variety of super foods, all with essential nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants to kick start a healthier lifestyle. Enjoy the “feel good” benefits of these unprocessed natural foods, all found in the Hawaiian Islands. You are what you eat!
- Read More