Statewide Story Ideas
Best Places to Wake Up and Watch the Sunrise
Without question Hawaii’s sunsets are some of the most romantic on Earth, but watching the sunrise with your special someone can be equally as enchanting! Start the day off right at these spectacular spots and you might find yourselves spending the entire day immersed in Hawaii’s beauty:
- Hawaii’s Big Island: Punaluu Black Sand Beach is one of the most famous of its kind in Hawaii. Located on the southeastern shore of the island, it is a perfect and quite unique spot to view the sunrise!
- Maui: There is no question that Haleakala is the top choice for sunrise viewing on Maui. The island’s highest peak, Haleakala means “house of the sun” and stands 10,000 feet above sea level.
- Oahu: Take an easy hike up to the historic Makapuu Lighthouse on Oahu’s south shore early enough and reward yourselves with a beautiful sunrise. In the winter months, you may also catch a glimpse of humpback whales making their way from Alaska to Hawaii’s warmer waters.
- Kauai: Poipu Beach Park on Kauai’s south shore was once named by the Travel Channel as America’s Best Beach and is no doubt a top choice for viewing the sunrise. Enjoy the rest of your day in Poipu’s inviting calm waters and perhaps catch a glimpse of Hawaiian Monk seals sunbathing on the shore!
- Molokai: The abundance of coconut trees in Kapuaiwa Coconut Beach Park on Molokai’s south shore make for picture-perfect sunrises.
- Lanai: Hulopoe Bay on the island’s southern coast features many tidepools carved from volcanic rock. A protected and popular bay for visitors and locals alike, Hulopoe is also teeming with sea life.