The Islands of Hawaii
Senior Account Supervisor
For Immediate ReleaseFebruary 04, 2014
ESCAPE TO THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AT THE ORCHID SHOW AT CHICAGO BOTANIC GARDEN
Escape the cold and experience the warmth and aloha spirit of the Hawaiian Islands! During two special Hawaii-themed weekends, The Orchid Show at Chicago Botanic Garden will feature fun activities, live Hawaiian music and hula dancing. Families will enjoy special touches from the islands each weekend:
February 15-16, 2014
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Fresh flower lei making with experts from Maui’s Travaasa Hana Resort
- Ohe kapala (bamboo stamping) and kapa (Hawaiian bark cloth) making
- demonstrations with Hawaii Island artisans
- Learn about Hawaii Island agritourism, from Hilo-grown orchids to Hamakua Mushrooms
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Fresh flower lei making and lauhala (leaf of hala tree) weaving with Oahu artisans
- Haku lei (braided head lei) demonstration with Kauai Heavenly Hakus
- Discover different varieties and uses of ulu (breadfruit) from the Breadfruit Institute at the National Tropical Botanical Garden on Kauai
Plus, enter to win a trip to Kauai from American Airlines and Whalers Cove Resort.
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road, Glencoe, IL 60022
Hawaii activities and trip drawing are free and open to the public.
- Adults: members/nonmembers: $8/$10
- Seniors 62+: members/nonmembers: $6/$8
- Children 3 to 12: members/nonmembers: $6/$8
- Children 2 and under: Free
# # #
The Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau is contracted by the Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA), the state of Hawaii’s tourism agency, for marketing management services in North America. The HTA was established in 1998 to ensure a successful visitor industry well into the future. Its mission is to strategically manage Hawaii tourism in a sustainable manner consistent with the state of Hawaii’s economic goals, cultural values, preservation of natural resources, community desires, and visitor industry needs. For more information about the Hawaiian Islands, visit gohawaii.com.