The Islands of Hawaii
Anthology Marketing Group
Senior Account Supervisor
Senior Account Supervisor
For Immediate ReleaseDecember 05, 2012
WHAT'S NEW IN THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS - NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2012
Experience what's new with Hawaii's events and attractions, developments in the islands, accolades, and transportation updates.
EVENTS AND ATTRACTIONS
- Visitors from around the globe can now experience the Battleship Missouri Memorial before and after their visit to Pearl Harbor (Oahu) with a new 360-degree above-and-below deck virtual online tour. Resting a ship’s length away from the USS Arizona Memorial, the legendary battleship is most well-known as the location of the signing of the Japanese Instrument of Surrender, ending World War II on Sept. 2, 1942. The Missouri also fought in the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa; and served in the Korean War and Operation Desert Storm. For more information, visit USSMissouri.com.
- The lava lake within Kilauea’s Halemaumau Crater on Hawaii the Big Island is surging to record levels at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (HVNP). The lookout at Jaggar Museum offers spectacular views of this natural marvel. Kilauea’s recent volcanic activity comes with perfect timing to celebrate HVNP’s 25th anniversary as a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Site. This significant designation recognizes the park as a source of outstanding value to humanity. For more information, visit NPS.org/HAVO.
- In 2013, the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) on Oahu will celebrate its 50th anniversary. Since opening its doors in 1963, PCC has established a proud tradition of perpetuating and preserving Polynesian cultures through exhibits, demonstrations and hands-on activities. The center’s island villages represent Aotearoa (New Zealand), Fiji, Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti and Tonga, and exhibits depict Rapa Nui (Easter Island) and Marquesas. Throughout the year, PCC will unveil special pricing and promotions. For more information, visit Polynesia.com.
- The PGA Tour season opening tournament, the Hyundai Tournament of Champions returns to the legendary Plantation Course at Kapalua Resort (Maui) from Jan. 3-7, 2013. Only champions from the previous PGA Tour season are eligible to compete, including 2012 British Open Champion, Ernie Els. Since moving to Kapalua in 1999, the tournament’s host organizations have contributed over $4 million to local Maui Charities. For more information, visit PGATour.com/Hyundai.
- The 2013 Sony Open will attract 144 of the world’s most talented golf professionals to the island of Oahu from Jan. 7-13, 2013. Hosted by the famed Waialae Country Club, the course boasts gorgeous oceanfront views and lush mountain scenery. In its fourteen year history, the Sony Open has not only established itself as a premier professional golf tournament, but has also emerged as a leader in charitable giving in Hawaii, benefiting more than 150 local not-for-profit organizations. For more information, visit SonyOpenInHawaii.com.
- The Four Seasons Resorts Lanai at Manele Bay announced plans for celebrity chef Nobuyuki “Nobu” Matsuhisa to open a new restaurant, Nobu Lanai in mid December 2012. The menu will showcase the chef’s signature new-style Japanese cuisine, applying techniques developed in Tokyo and from his global travels to local Hawaii ingredients. For more information, visit FourSeasons.com/ManeleBay.
- When Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort and Spa opens in the summer of 2013, guests will be treated to creative and decadent dishes from chef Masaharu Morimoto, from the television shows, Iron Chef and Iron Chef America. Morimoto Maui will be the chef’s second restaurant in Hawaii, bringing a fresh take on local ingredients with traditional Japanese culinary techniques. For more information, visit Maui.Andaz.Hyatt.com.
- Hotel Molokai’s restaurant, Hula Shores, will undergo an extensive remodeling beginning in January 2013 with completion targeted for summer. During the renovation, the bar will remain open Saturdays to Thursdays, from 4 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and on Fridays from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. During Aloha Friday, a group of kupuna (esteemed elders) entertains with live music from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. providing a truly authentic Molokai experience. For more information, visit HotelMolokai.com.
- Located on 22 acres of beautiful oceanfront property, the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort (Oahu) has been updating its rooms, pools and stores with luxury and style. Here’s what’s in store for the next few months:
The centrally located Tapa Pool is scheduled to reopen in December 2012. New features include more chaise lounges, enhanced landscaping, an elegant water feature and comfortable cabanas.
The Tapa Tower is being outfitted with new lighting and a chic vibe in the retail corridor. The project is scheduled for completion in December 2012.
The highly anticipated makeover of the exclusive Alii Tower is scheduled to be completed in January 2013. All 323 guest rooms will be updated with new finishes and furnishings and upgraded bathrooms along with the reconfiguration of the tower’s 10 suites and lobby.
For more information, visit HiltonHawaiianVillage.com.
Hawaiian Airlines continues to make it easier to visit and explore the Hawaiian Islands with several developments including:
- Beginning in 2013 a newly established turboprop operation will begin flying to the islands of Molokai and Lanai.
- An expansion of service between California’s Bay Area and the Hawaiian Islands, with increased daily flights from Kahului (Maui) and Honolulu (Oahu) to Oakland and San José.
- The larger Airbus A330-200 aircraft will be used instead of the previously announced Boeing 767 aircraft for the soon to launch, three weekly flights between Honolulu and Auckland, New Zealand.
- On October 30, Hawaiian Airlines launched its inaugural flight between Honolulu and Sapporo, Japan. The new service will be available three times a week.
- For more information, visit HawaiianAirlines.com.
- This month, Alaska Airlines launched three seasonal routes, each with four weekly flights, connecting the Hawaiian Islands with the West Coast. Two of the seasonal routes, Portland to Lihue (Kauai) and Anchorage to Kona (Hawaii Island) will run through April 7, 2013. The third route, Bellingham, Wash. to Kahului (Maui), will run through April 14, 2013. The airline also recently announced a new route between San Diego and Lihue, set to launch June 7, 2013. The initial service will be available daily and will be offered four times a week after Aug. 23, 2013. For more information, visit AlaskaAir.com.
- The Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau (HVCB) was honored by the U.S. Travel Association with a 2012 Destiny Award for Best Use of a Social Media Platform in its “Perfect Moments” Facebook Campaign. In partnership with ABC Television Los Angeles, the campaign encouraged viewers to visit Hawaii’s Facebook page and submit a photo of their “Perfect Moment in Hawaii.” Contestants entered to win a trip to the Hawaiian Islands and the winning photos were featured on billboards across Los Angeles. For more information, visit USTravel.org.
- Readers of Conde Nast Traveler seem to agree with the saying, “Maui No Ka Oi” (Maui is the best). Maui was voted the number one island in the world for the 19th consecutive year in the magazine’s annual Reader’s Choice Awards. The magazine also recognized Honolulu as No. 6 in the “Top 10 Cities in the U.S.” In the “Top 25 Resorts in Hawaii” category, the top five resorts listed were:
- Four Seasons Resort Lanai, the Lodge at Koele
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai (Hawaii Island)
- Four Seasons Resort Lanai at Manele Bay
- Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
- Wailea Beach Villas (Maui)
For more information, visit CNTraveler.com.
- The Fairmont Kea Lani (Maui) was ranked among the Top 10 Hotels in the U.S., according to annual survey results by Orbitz Worldwide. The Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa, Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows (Hawaii Island) and Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk (Oahu) also made the list. The 2012 Orbitz Best In Stay Awards recognizes top-rated hotels based on the overall numeric score of nearly 200,000 hotel reviews submitted by Orbitz customers that have booked and stayed at hotels since 2011. For more information, visit Orbitz.com.